Tuesday 17 October 2023 – Following the fatal terrorist attack in Brussels yesterday evening, the OCAD has increased the threat level to level 4. This means that all unnecessary travel in the capital should be avoided. Based on this, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) is implementing the following security measures.
- Vigilance is increased on campuses and in dorms.
- Campus facilities will be open with minimal staffing.
- Lessons will take place digitally. Students are advised to follow Canvas for more details from their lecturer or faculty.
- Tutorials, practicals, exercises and PhD defences will in principle go ahead. Students are advised to follow Canvas for updates from their lecturer.
- Internships will follow the measures implemented by the internship location.
- Non-essential activities such as readings and parties on 17 October are suspended.
- Staff members who are able to carry out their work remotely are asked to do so.
The VUB asks its community to remain vigilant and to limit travelling as much as possible. Anyone on campus can contact the Security services if necessary. There will also be psychological support available for those who need it.