Wednesday 8 March – 17.30-20.30 – King Baudouin Room, Royal Academy of Sciences, Rue Ducale 1, 1000 Brussels
The Brussels Institute for Advanced Studies (BrIAS), a joint initiative by the Vrije Universiteit Brussel and Université libre de Bruxelles, presents its 2023 Fellows during a welcome ceremony at the Royal Academy of Sciences on 8 March. This is also the first event where the new institute will be officially introduced.
On the programme
- Welcome by VUB rector Jan Danckaert and ULB rector Annemie Schaus
- Short introduction to BrIAS by co-directors Prof Emeritus Frank Deconinck (VUB) and Serge Jaumain (ULB)
- Short presentations of the research of two 2023 Fellows: Mennat-Allah El Dorry (Ain Shams University, Egypt) and Philippe Hinsinger (National Research Institute for Agriculture, Food and the Environment, France)
- Announcement of the research theme for the next academic year
You are warmly invited to this ceremony. If you wish to attend, please contact:
- VUB: Nathalie Vlaemynck – 0479 87 23 26 – [email protected]
- ULB: Mathieu Leonard – 0473 97 22 56 – [email protected]
About BrIAS and its Fellowship programme
The Brussels Institute for Advanced Studies (BrIAS) was established in 2018 by VUB and ULB. The institute supports interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research by focusing on human and social sciences, natural sciences, engineering, art and culture.
It brings together top researchers from all over the world, who for several months address contemporary societal challenges related to sustainable development. The resulting insights will be shared through workshops for professionals, lectures for academics and forums for the wider public. Thanks to their contribution, Fellows help to advance research, academic teaching and society.
In return, BrIAS offers its fellows living and working spaces that allow them to meet, participate in seminars and workshops, and establish links with the broader academic community at ULB and VUB. The institute is run in co-directorship by the two universities.
- VUB: Frank Deconinck – professor emeritus at VUB – 0475 66 84 98 –[email protected]
- ULB: Serge Jaumain – professor of contemporary history at ULB and specialist in North America [email protected]