With Mindblowers, we let the academic and cultural forces interact and enter into dialogue with each other. And that is exactly the message we want to convey: finding solutions to challenges and building tomorrow’s society is not something we do in isolation, but through cooperation and dialogue,” says VUB rector Caroline Pauwels.
The event – which can also be followed digitally this year – will be opened by Flemish minister for Brussels, youth and media Benjamin Dalle. The evening will be completely corona-proof and in the open air, on the square behind the KVS, and will be presented by VUB student Anouk Haenen and VUB PhD student Carmen Mazijn. The event is in English. Admission is free, but online booking is required. You can follow the live stream via https://247.kvs.be/.
- Professor Ilse Smolders (expert in drugs and pharmacology) takes the audience into the world of the aesthetic brain, beauty, pleasure and art.
- Professor of educational sciences Free De Backer and artist-researcher Peter de Cupere discuss the hidden beauty of the sense of smell.
- Dancer and choreographer Yassin Mrabtifi investigates the beauty of the dancing body versus the city.
- Brussels pastry chef Jean-Charles Zaquine of Maison Zack makes pastries especially for Mindblower that will immerse the audience in the beauty of taste and the four seasons. Sayuri Nagoya and Frederik Hildebrand will accompany the tasting on pianoforte and viola da gamba.
- Philosopher and professor Laurent de Sutter talks with artist Koen Vanmechelen about the political, the strange and the (post-)corona society. Graphic artist and poster designer Amira Daoudi explains what beauty means to her and how it determines her life.
- Professor Jean-Paul Van Bendegem unravels the secrets of Pythagoras’ theorem on the piano.
- To conclude, national champion slam poet Lisette Ma Neza rhymes difficult subjects with poetic solutions.
- Floral artist Thierry Boutemy has made an exceptional installation with trees and flowers on the square behind KVS in collaboration with Leefmilieu Brussel, especially for Mindblowers.
This event is made possible with the support of the Flemish Community Commission, Bruxelles Environnement, Humanistisch Verbond and Innoviris.
Note to the press
You are welcome to attend Mindblowers (digitally). If you wish, you can speak with the professors and artists present after the performance. Would you like to attend in person? Please notify Lies Feron, VUB press relations, of your arrival and your interview requests.